Saturday, June 9, 2012

Parent of a child with Special Needs

Today I was just that.

I stepped out of my element for the day and attended a conference as a "parent of a child with special needs." I consciously made an effort to leave work at the door and be just "Mom".  I wanted to open my heart and my mind to the feelings, emotions and questions that are typically present when you have a child with special needs.  I wanted to relate to those that heart ache with worry for the future of their child...

With the absence of these feelings, I would like to clarify: I am not naive. Just confident. I had a father asked me if at any point I was in denial. There is no denying that Hayden has special needs.  Maybe it is because I will not let that define him; I will not let a diagnosis or a disability be his crutch.

Without a single doubt in my mind I know Hayden will grow to be something wonderful. 

I enjoy meeting other parents of children with special needs and will be spending some time looking for parent support groups and other bloggers going through similar situations such as mine.

Also, this week a dear friend of mine posted a blog pertaining to Autism Recovery.  Now, Hayden does not have Autism. However, her outlook inspires me to continue with my advocacy efforts and to push through the coordination of proper services, while always remembering that Hayden will be just fine the way he is, and I too am OK with that.


Today I was just "Mom".


No comments:

Post a Comment

A lil' Mission

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods